Tuesday, August 4, 2020

MFT Summer School Day 2: Rainbow

I'm continuing on my mission to use stamps, dies and stencils that I HAD to have, yet have never used. Today, I'm playing along with My Favorite Things' Summer School Challenge: Day 2 (Rainbow). I was able to use TWO stamp sets that I've purchased over the past year but never used before.

For the "rainbow" challenge, I tried to use a less-obvious application (like a literal rainbow, rainbow paper, or ink blending across a background with rainbow colors). Instead, I chose an image of three flowers and colored them in the ROYGBIV colors, from the bottom flower upward. (In other words, I inverted the rainbow, with the violets/blues on top instead of the bottom.)


The final card measures 4.25" x 5.5". I stamped the flowers with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on Copic XPress-It Blending Card, then spent several hours working on color blends and applying them to the paper. The blending actually looks smoother in person than it does in the photo, so I wish I could take a better picture. *sigh*

After I colored the flowers, I cut a 1" strip of vellum cardstock and heat-embossed my sentiment (with Versafine Onyx Black Ink and Ranger Super Fine Detail Black Embossing Powder). I used a Lawn Fawn patterned paper for the bottom layer, wrapped the vellum sentiment strip around the main panel, and glued it down. Finally, I added a few Swarovski crystals for sparkle.

List of all stamps used on this card:
  • Flowers in Bloom stamp set (My Favorite Things)
  • Brushstroke Expressions stamp set (My Favorite Things)
Other supplies:
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Versafine Onyx Black Ink
  • Ranger Super Fine Detail Black Embossing Powder
  • Copic XPress-It Blending Card
  • Copic markers (various)
  • Lawn Fawn patterned paper
  • Swarovski crystals (5mm, 4mm, and 3mm)
It was fun to play around with rainbow colors. I usually create brightly-colored cards, but I enjoyed really focusing on the colors themselves, not necessarily colored elements within a scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment