Sunday, June 21, 2020

Graduation 2020 Card

My sister just finished her bachelor's degree, and I'm so proud of her! I created this card (as a surprise) to celebrate her accomplishment:


The main image (graduate) is from the "Set of SIX GRADS" digital stamp pack by KristaSmithStamps (Etsy). The entire card measures 5" x 7".

I colored this lovely graduate with Copics and fussy cut her. Next, I stamped the "Garland Bold Prints" cling stamp onto burgundy cardstock with Versamark, then embossed with Gold Tinsel embossing powder. That embossing powder is so sparkly, and it doesn't crack (like the old formula)! I cut the stamped/embossed panel to 4.75" x 6.75".

I cut several 2 and 0 numbers, using the Tonic "Windsor Numerals" die set. I cut 4 of each number: 2 white, 2 black. I wanted the numbers to sparkle like the background, so I tapped the die-cut numbers on the Versamark stamp pad and dipped them in the Gold Tinsel embossing powder. Once I melted the powder with my heat tool, I repeated the process, until I couldn't see any of the white cardstock. I recommend using thick, sturdy cardstock if you want to coat it with embossing power.

TIP: To protect your hands, use a pair of tweezers to hold the die-cut piece while using the heat tool. Also, if you need to add several layers of powder to get a solid finish (like I did), you can dip the die-cut piece back into the dry embossing powder while the powder is still hot. The dry powder will stick to the hot, melted powder on the die cut. This is a LOT faster than waiting for the die cut to cool, tapping it on the Versamark pad again, dipping it, etc.

When I was satisfied with the sparkly, gold numbers, I glued them onto the black numbers, slightly offset to create a "shadow" effect. For the floor, I cut a 1.25" x 4.75" piece of wood-patterned cardstock. (I keep scraps of special papers just for occasions like this!) For some dimension, I popped up the floor and graduate with foam dots and glued the numbers to the background panel. Finally, I added a few clear Swarovski crystals.

This photo may show the dimension of the card a bit better:


List of all stamps/dies used on this card:
  • Set of SIX GRADS digital stamp set (KristaSmithStamps on Etsy)
  • Garland Bold Prints cling stamp (Hero Arts)
  • 'Windsor' Numerals Simple Type die set (Tonic Studios)
I hope your day is full of pomp and circumstance!

2 comments:

  1. I bet she loves this. Graduation cards were a challenge this year since the typical ceremonies were canceled in many places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deana! She loved it and was surprised to receive it. :)

      Delete