Thursday, June 11, 2020

Father's Day Retiform Card

For my dad's 2020 Father's Day card, I decided to do a modified retiform card. I hadn't done (or seen) a retiform card in several years - my last one was in 2017! - but I remembered that they were fairly easy and quick.

A retiform card is just a fancy name for a collage-type of card, using Post-It notes (or something similar) to mask off sections. You typically use two inks, with a monochromatic color scheme: a light shade to blend edges of the post-it note, and a dark shade to stamp the sharp images. My style of the retiform process is a bit of a modification, as I like to select one section of the card and color it in full color, highlighting that section. Here's this year's card:


I used several older, retired stamp sets to create this retiform card. (All of the sets are listed at the bottom of this post, in case you'd like these specific images.)

I took several wide Post-It notes and masked off sections of the card, leaving the largest section in the middle so I could color it. I used a light green ink (Memento New Sprout) and a blender tool along the edges of the Post-It notes and the edges of the card. Once I'd segmented my sections, I stamped the various images with a darker green ink (Memento Bamboo Leaves). I also used a stencil to add very light texture to all segments EXCEPT for the center. The masking process looks like this:


Once I'd stamped all of my selected images, I used Copics to fully color the scene in the center of the card. I matted the panel on a plaid Lawn Fawn paper, then used some twine and metal embellishments to decorate the card. I tried to leave it as rustic and uncluttered as possible.

If you'd like to see the card I made in 2017, here it is:


List of all stamps/dies used on this card (Father's Day 2020):
  • Honey Run Bridge cling stamp (Whimsy Stamps)
  • Country Livin' cling stamp set (Stampin' Up)
  • Always Thankful cling stamp set (Stampin' Up)
  • Splatter Stencil (Altenew)
I hope you have a wonderful, crafty day!

No comments:

Post a Comment