Thursday, October 26, 2023

Two Sweet Cotton Candy Cards for MFT's Color Challenge 222

Today, I'm sharing design team inspiration for the My Favorite Things Weekly Color Challenge (#667). When I saw the names of the colors (Cotton Candy, Grapesicle, Lemon Drop, and Sour Apple), I immediately thought of candy. When I looked at the Cotton Candy Cone Die-Namics, I remembered that I had box of felting/roving wool from some old projects (years ago) and decided to make fluffy cotton candy cards!

I enjoyed playing with the wool so much that I made two cards, for different occasions, using the same colors:



By adjusting the amount of each color in the card, and using different characters around the sentiment, I made a card for someone's birthday AND a Halloween card.

I used the same paper for both: MFT's Cotton Candy, Grapesicle, Lemon Drop, Sour Apple, and Smooth White cardstock, plus MFT's Tiny Check Brights paper pad. Since both of my cards are 5"x7", and the paper pad is 6"x6", I cut panels of each color and pasted them to a 5"x7" panel of Smooth White. I cut the "Sweet" Die-Namics out of Cotton Candy and Sour Apple cardstock, layering 4 die cuts on top of each one to create depth. I stamped the birthday sentiment from SY Cotton Candy Critters and the Halloween sentiment from JB Delightful Halloween, trimming the stamped sentiments as needed.

I stamped the characters from JB Delightful Halloween, JB Carnival Critters, and SY Cotton Candy Critters. I stamped the cat holding cotton candy two extra times, then trimmed off the cotton candy to add to the ghost and mummy. Next, I focused on the cotton candy.

I used the Cotton Candy Cone Die-Namics with the matching cardstock to create the cotton candy with the striped cone. Next, I pulled out felting/roving wool in colors that matched (pink, purple, yellow, and green). I separated a chunk of each color and then carefully wrapped the wool in a "curl." I sealed the wool into the curl using a hot glue gun. Once my curl was complete, I used more hot glue (in a vertical line on the cotton candy die cut) to adhere the curls to the matching cotton candy. Once they cooled, I trimmed off any of the cotton candy die cut that could be seen, leaving the striped cone and the fluffy, wool curl. Here are some photos of the process:





After gluing all elements to the card base, I added some thin, flat polymer clay discs (that I bought many years ago) in matching colors to make the cards more festive. Here's a video showing the fluffiness of the candy. When I touch the wooly curls, I hear Agnes' voice (from "Despicable Me") saying, "It's so fluffy!"


List of all stamps/dies/paper/etc. used on this card:
Other products used:
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad
  • Copic XPress-It Blending Card
  • Copic markers
  • Glue
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Foam dots
  • Felting/roving wool in various colors
  • Thin, flat polymer clay discs in various colors
Have a lovely, crafty day!

1 comment: