Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Merry Christmas Birdhouse with MFT's Weekly Sketch Challenge 669

Today, I'm sharing design team inspiration for the My Favorite Things Sketch Weekly Sketch Challenge (#669). I used several different MFT sets to create a festive, winter birdhouse scene. 


I stamped the images from SY Peaceful Birds on Copic XPress-It Blending Card, then die cut the bow and candy canes (on the same paper) from the Gingerbread House Die-Namics. I colored everything with Copics.

Before fussy cutting the birdhouse, I drew a blanket of snow over the roof. I also took a piece of the Copic cardstock and drew additional snow for the bottom of the birdhouse, also fussy cutting that piece. I lightly colored the snow and then used a Zig glue pen with Ranger Rock Candy Glitter to cover the snow in glitter. Here's a look at the snowy layers before I colored and glittered them:


For the snow banks below, I used the In Your Corner Die-Namics on Smooth White cardstock. I kept every other stripe white and used the Zig glue pen and Rock Candy glitter to completely cover them. For the remaining stripes, I used Ranger's Silver Metallic Mixatives alcohol ink with a piece of felt, coating the cardstock until it had an antique silver appearance. I took a 4.25"x3" piece of white cardstock and glued the stripes on in order, trimming the top edge so the cardstock underneath is not visible.

For the card base, I cut an 8.5" x 9" panel, folding it in half to create an 8.5" x 4.5" card base. I cut a bottom layer of Black Licorice cardstock, then another panel in a soft blue MFT cardstock (couldn't find the name). I used the First Snowfall stencil with Prima Snowflake Paste, which is a glittery, translucent paste.  

I couldn't find a small enough sentiment, so I took a sentiment stamp from the Gingerbread Greetings stamp set, masked off everything but "merry," and stamped that word. Next, I masked off everything but "Christmas" and repeated the step. I cut out the sentiment with the second smallest circle from the Wonky Stitched Circle STAX Die-Namics.

I glued the foliage to the blue panel, then popped up the snowbanks/swirled layered with foam dots. I also popped up the birdhouse, candy canes, and birds with foam dots. I glued the sentiment circle to the front of the snowbank and added one last bird. Voila! Another Christmas card is finished and ready to go!

Here's a video of the final card:


List of all stamps/dies/paper/etc. used on this card:
Other products used:
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad
  • Copic XPress-It Blending Card
  • Copic markers
  • Glue
  • Foam dots
  • Ranger Silver Metallic Mixatives Alcohol Ink
  • Ranger Rock Candy Glitter
  • Zig Glue Markers (chisel tip)
  • Prima Snowflake Paste
  • Palette knife
Happy (very early) holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment