Thursday, September 17, 2020

MFT's Card Superstar Innovation Challenge

Today, I've created a card for the My Favorite Things Card Superstar Contest (Innovation Challenge). I decided to have some fun with this card and tried to use one of MFT's interactive die sets in a different way.


The interactive mechanism (sliding bats) is from MFT's Falling from the Clouds Frame Die-Namics set, used a little differently. Typically, crafters string beads on the invisible thread, creating falling rain, stars, etc. I decided to make my bats slide up and down the thread instead.

This card is slimline, measuring 3.5" x 8.5". I stamped all of the images from the "Witch Way is the Candy" My Favorite Things stamp set. I stamped them with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink on Copic XPress-It Blending Card.

After that, I colored everything with Copics and fussy cut each character/image. I probably would've added more bats if I didn't have to fussy cut them, LOL!  After I cut all of the characters, I started to work on the mechanism and background.

I needed to overlap the stringing mechanism over the edge of the bottom panel, so I cut my cloud panel at 2.5" x 8.5". I used MFT's Cloud Stencil and Stormy Sky Distress Oxide Ink to create the cloudy background. I cut 6 of the stringing sections from the interactive die set, then attached them with a foam strip, with the slotted part overlapping the edges of the card. (For a demo of how to use this die set, please check out MFT's Falling from the Clouds Frame Die-Namics product page.) I had to trim the sections so they would cover the 8.5" wide card. It looked like this before I stuck the stringing sections on the foam:


Next, I rummaged around in my jewelry-making stash until I found some tube-shaped beads that I thought would work for this project. (I don't make jewelry anymore, but I still have a hoard of beads that I just can't seem to part with!) I strung the beads on the invisible thread, spacing them so each bead would fit under a bat wing. I wanted to be sure the bats would remain stuck to the card and would be well supported as they slide.

I took a thin piece of paper (about 0.15" wide), put double-sided tape on it, and then wrapped it around pairs of beads. I did that to create a stable "bar" for the bat, as I knew the bat would stay attached to paper and the beads would hold their shape/still slide. It looked like this:


Next, I used more double-sided tape to attach the bats to the bars. Since they are attached to a bar, instead of just to the beads, the wings bend outwards... which I love! I verified that they slid up and down easily, then focused on building the rest of the frame.


I die-cut the grass panel with MFT's Slimline Grassy Hills Die-Namics, and then I had another challenge. I needed an 8.5" x 0.8" panel of clouds, but I didn't have a cloud die. I decided to solve this problem by cutting a 1" x 8.5" piece of cardstock and then STENCILING the clouds on, using MFT's Cloud Stencil. Once I was happy with the shape and shading, I simply trimmed the panel along the cloud's humps! I inked both panels with Distress Oxide Inks (Stormy Sky, Mowed Lawn, and Twisted Citron). I die cut MFT's Spooky Fence and inked that with Black Soot Distress Oxide. I lightly splattered the grass panel with water and blotted it dry, just for some texture.

Before I attached the cloud panel, I stamped it with a sentiment from MFT's Sassy Pants Spooktacular stamp set. Finally, I assembled everything, and the final card works this way!


List of all stamps/dies/stencils used on this card:
  • Witch Way is the Candy stamp set (My Favorite Things)
  • Falling from the Clouds Frame Die-Namics (My Favorite Things)
  • Cloud Stencil (My Favorite Things) 
  • Slimline Grassy Hills Die-Namics (My Favorite Things)
  • Spooky Fence Die-Namics (My Favorite Things) 
  • Sassy Pants Spooktacular stamp set (My Favorite Things)
Other supplies:
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Copic XPress-It Blending Card
  • Copic markers (various)
  • Distress Oxide Inks (Stormy Sky, Mowed Lawn, Twisted Citron, and Black Soot)
  • Invisible thread (any brand)
  • Tube-shaped seed beads
Have a boo-tiful day!

15 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful and I love how it moves! I think I need to get that die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Isn't it fun? I actually haven't used it the way it was intended yet (sliding seed beads like rain), but I'm sure I will eventually! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Saw your card posted on Facebook and it intrigued me so came to your blog. Never had heard of this interactive die until today. I'm so glad you shared your beautiful and fun card! Ingenious how you changed it to falling bats! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anni! I hope you have fun playing with this technique, too. :-)

      Delete
  3. This is incredible! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly ... Thank you for sharing this awesome card and for joining the Slimline Obsessed FB Group. I certainly can appreciate the hard work it took to create this card and I thank you for sharing. Wow! Just Wow! Absolutely Brilliant! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can’t get over how clever and fun this idea is! And perfectly executed!! Every single detail just makes me smile!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karolyn! I really appreciate your kind words. :-)

      Delete