Friday, December 11, 2020

Snowmen and Truck Scene for my Nephew

My three-year-old nephew is OBSESSED with trucks. Pickup trucks, firetrucks, dump trucks... all of it. He's also not old enough to appreciate detailed coloring, which takes me 2-3 days to make one card. When I saw a 6"x6" paper pad at Michael's that had snowmen and a red truck, I decided to use it on a card for him. I am also playing along with Simon Says Stamps' Wednesday Challenge: Let It Snow.

This card is slimline, measuring 3.5" x 8.5". I fussy cut all of the snowmen, truck and sign post from the Say Freeze 6"x6" paper pad, which took a while (but a lot less time than anything I'd color). 

I cut my sky panel (3.25" x 8.25" and quickly used my ink blending tool and Salty Ocean Distress Oxide Ink to get the color I wanted for the sky. I somehow forgot that I have slimline slope dies (DOH!) and made the slimline slopes the hard way. I used Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Borders dies to cut half of the slope, then lined up another hillside border die (overlapping the first half) to create the long, curvy panels. (It would have been SO MUCH EASIER if I'd remembered that I have My Favorite Things' Slimline Stitched Slopes dies. Argh!)

I used my ink blending tool and Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide Ink to lightly shade the lower half of each slope. I glued the top slope down onto the sky panel, then popped up the front slope with foam dots. I felt like the snow needed to be sparkly, so I used a Zig 2-Way Glue Pen and Ranger Rock Candy Transparent Glitter to cover the slopes with glitter. (It also softened the blue shading, which was nice.)

I attached my characters with a combo of liquid glue (Ranger Multi-Medium Matte) and foam dots. I used my paper cutter to cut out the sentiment from another page in the paper pad. Now my nephew will have a Christmas card with a truck, and I didn't have to do any stamping or coloring (which he wouldn't appreciate). Score!

List of all stamps/dies/stencils used on this card:

Other supplies:
  • Black and white cardstock
  • Distress Oxide inks: Salty Ocean and Tumbled Glass 
  • Ink blending tool
  • Ranger Rock Candy Transparent Glitter
  • Liquid Glue (I used Zig 2-Way Glue Pens)
  • Double-sided tape (Scor-tape)
  • Ranger Multi-Medium Matte
  • Foam dots
Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment