Saturday, November 14, 2020

Kitty Mischief at Christmas

I'm still working on Christmas cards, and I wanted to play with the Snarky Cats again. I had a lot of fun with this one, and I incorporated some glittery mini Christmas light buttons I found at Hobby Lobby, just to make the cats a little naughtier.


This is a slimline (3.5" x 8.5") card. I stamped the cat with Christmas lights from the Tim Holtz Snarky Cat Christmas Stamptember 2020 set (retired) and another cat and bird from the Snarky Cat set, using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink on Copic XPress-It Blending Card. I colored them with Copics, then fussy cut them with scissors. (I tried using the Scan n' Cut but the machine kept trying to cut THROUGH the images!)

I cut a 3.25" x 8.25" white panel and used a ruler and pencil to mark off the floor, baseboard, and wall. I used Copics and drew a Christmas tree on its side, assuming the cat has tipped it over and taken off the lights, and lightly colored the blue floor and pale gray wall.

I stamped the sentiments from both stamp sets with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink directly onto the background. I glued on the bird and cat with lights, then prepared my string of lights. I found these little, glittery Christmas "light" buttons at Hobby Lobby, and I strung them on some black embroidery floss, tying knots where I wanted the lights to hang. I attached the string to the card by taping it down on the back side of the panel. I popped the hanging cat up with foam dots and attached him to the panel, overlapping his paws over the string, so it looks like he's hanging (or pulling them down). The paws also hold the string down, so the string of lights doesn't flop all over the card.

I used a simple, black cardstock mat to highlight the colors on the card. The card seemed busy enough, so I resisted the urge to add crystals or other embellishments.

List of all stamps/dies/stencils used on this card:

  • Snarky Cat Christmas Stamptember 2020 stamp set (Tim Holtz/Simon Says Stamp, retired)
  • Snarky Cat stamp set (Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous)
Other supplies:
  • Copic XPress-It Blending Card
  • Copic markers (various)
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink 
  • Black Embroidery Floss
  • Double-sided tape (Scor-tape)
  • Mini Christmas Light Buttons (Hobby Lobby)
Meowy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment